Friday, April 17, 2009

Call Me Crazy

Ask any college student nowadays how their life is and I bet you a large frosty that their response will be this. “My life is just so crazy.” Don’t get me wrong, I was guilty of claiming a life of insanity and ridiculousness. It wasn’t until I really took a good look at my life and the definition of crazy in the dictionary, that I changed my perspective on my so-called “crazy life.” So friends, let’s take journey to dictionary.com and see if your life really is crazy.

Definition #1- someone or something that is mentally deranged, demented or insane. The last time that I checked I am in perfect mental health, even though some of you would call that into question. The thing is most of these people who claim to be living the crazy life would be offended if you said that they were demented. So you make the argument that, well crazy has many different meanings. Oh don’t you worry my deranged friend, we are going to go through every one of them.

Definition #2- crazy is something senseless, impractical or totally unsound. Staying up until 4 a.m. to finish writing an essay does not make your life crazy. It just means you have mastered the art of procrastination. The fact that right this minute I am nine hours into a 24 hour shift does not make my life impractical. I just like things in bulk. The last time I checked Costco was doing pretty good with this philosophy. Are they crazy? You decide.

Definition #3- intensely enthusiastic or passionately crazed. The only time I saw BYU students really get excited about anything is when it is free. Just go any BYU basketball game. While the real action is going down on the hardwood, the student section is lethargic at best. However, they erupt in excitement when the cheerleaders hit the floor. That’s because they are handing out free t-shirts. And let’s not forget that a self-respecting BYU student would never sign up for a club without expecting a candy bar or free movie ticket in return. That’s just for signing up though. Good luck trying to get them to organize a rally calling for the liberation of Palestinian refugees.

Definition #4- being very enamored or infatuated. OK, you got me. If there is any aspect of crazy that we do posses it is this one. Everyone is enamored with someone; usually the one they see in the mirror.

Definition #5- unusual or bizarre. Finding out that your roommate is dating your ex is not bizarre. Finding out your roommate is running a coke train through your apartment and has $37 billion stashed in your mattress is bizarre. Use that as your scale or craziness. If the latter of the two is true for you then your life is crazy. Anything else, I’ve heard it all before.

Definition#6- likely to break or fall to pieces. The last time I checked all of us have bodies that are somewhat functional in the “sticking together” department. I guess we could all fall to pieces fugitively, but for some of us that happens on a regular basis which would go against definition number five.

Now that you have looked at a few of the definitions of crazy I hope that you will be a lot less liberal in your usage of such word in relation to your life. Other words such as hectic, intense and swell are all appropriate. If that doesn’t work just come to the realization that life is good. If you think otherwise come fight me, because I’m just that crazy.

1 comment:

Steve Pierce said...

I'm pretty sure that a certain renowned scholar originally developed the "BYU Student-Free Crap" Theory and needs recognition for his lifetime achievement. I just can't remember his name... Haha.