Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Winter Semester 2009- A Learning Experience

Seeing how today is the last day of classes here at good ole BYU, I decided that I would write down a few of the things that I have learned in the past semester. I find it interesting that the things I learn usually have nothing to do with the subject matter in my classes. This is probably due to the fact that I am a bulimic and anorexic learner. Anorexic because I don't study or attend class nearly enough and bulimic because the only times I do study are right before the test and I end up vomiting it up right after. It's unhealthy but just like the real eating disorders, I will need special therapy in order to break the habit. Anyhow, here are a few of the thing that I learned from my classes.

From my broadcast journalism class- Don't buy books for a class unless it is absolutely necessary. There is nothing more frustrating that buying two hundred dollars worth of books and then never using the darn things once. In this particular class, which is downright silly,I think I used one of the two books once. Now both of the books are collecting dust in my room. I'm glad they are serving their purpose.

From my New Testament class- When I am older, don't digress about my medical history. I took this class from a great man by the name of Stephen Robinson. He is an amazing gospel scholar and I have a lot of respect for him. There only thing that I could have done without in his class was his continuous references his his medical history. I can understand that he has a lot of health problems and that it is a significant part of his life but I really don't want to hear about his kidney stones or bladder infections on a regular basis. So when I get old and I have my fare share of health issues, I will just keep them to myself.

From my hockey class- it is better to give than to receive.

From my management communications class- I am not good enough for the accounting program. Don't get me wrong there are a lot of people in the accounting program that are good friends of mine. However, a group of future accountants in this class made me realize that I want nothing to do with them and their profession. Maybe its because I didn't dress up everyday for class or because I didn't treat every assignment like a life or death competition. It could be the fact that I'm not a super elitist. Either way, I'm sure in their eyes I'm just not good enough for their crowd.

From my humanities class- never take a class that starts a 8:00 a.m. I made this mistake my freshman year and for some reason I didn't learn my lesson. I think I made it to this class a grand total of 7 times the whole semester. It didn't help that the teacher had the amazing talent of taking a potentially intriguing topic and making it as interesting as quadratic equations. Here's to you Brother Anderson.

From my marriage prep class- I am not ready to get married. That one is pretty much self explanatory. Most of you who know me well have known this for a long time. I'm glad that I had to take this class in order to make this discovery.

There it is folks, my top-quality college education in a nutshell.

No comments: