Friday, May 1, 2009

Cruelty

Have you ever felt like life was playing a trick on you? I do all the time. Let me speak metaphorically because it’s more fun that way.

For a while I have felt like a man walking through an endless desert. I’ve been walking for a long while now and my search for water is very desperate. I’ve hiked endless dunes and chased after fading mirages and have always come up empty.

I was about to give up on this search for water until recently. After days of searching I found in the middle of nowhere a large water tank. For a while I sat there in disbelief, not wanting to get my hopes up only to see it be empty. But as I get closer and I give it a good look, the tank in completely full of water.

With pure joy pulsing through my veins, I prepare for a long drink of much needed water. My once weak and fragile body is now fully of energy and excitement. I take a breath, release the plug and water comes rushing out.

I take a deep drink of much needed water but before I know it the water is gone. Not only that but the tank itself has disappeared. For a while I thought I had found the water I was looking only to see it disappear right before me.

I analyze this situation the best I can and I ask myself a few questions. I wonder why I got to taste the water at all. Was someone trying to tease me? Is this just a mean trick? Would it have been better if I never saw the tank at all? Or should I be grateful that I had the opportunity to drink of some water? Oh life.

Regardless of the meaning to this madness, I press on. I laugh a little, shake my fist and continue my search for water.

Sometimes I wish I live do without these cruel tricks but let’s get serious; life would be painfully boring the easy way. Here’s to the interesting life.

1 comment:

Jenna Cherry said...

Jake. I feel very similar to this. Alot. Kudos to you for being fantastic and making my day by writing this.